Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One week ago.....was it the Root Beer Float?


So many of you have heard the "story" of what happened, although several have not. It is so hard to believe that it was one week ago (exactly) and how much life drastically changed (literally) overnight.

So....here's how Cam and Sully decided to make their grand entrance:

Last Tuesday was a great day. I felt great! I had a meeting with the other counselors on Tuesday morning where they showered me with lots of love (and diapers :). That afternoon was work as usual. Tuesday night Chris was taking a trip to Home Depot (he was in the process of tearing out our master bathroom and redoing it) and asked if I would like to join him. My reply was: "yes, if we can stop to get some Sonic afterwards" (does that sound like a pregnant girl or what?). So we headed to HomeDepot, and then afterwards I enjoyed the best root beer float ever.

After we got home, Chris was in his office working and I was in the babies' room organizing the generous gift of diapers from earlier that day. Throughout the day I had noticed some fluid, but it was very minor (I am trying to be very PC here when I describe things...hope it doesnt come off too vauge). Around 8:45, however, it warranted some concern. I realized that this was more than a "little" and could in fact be closer to a "drip" or "trickle". Our doctor had warned us of those words. With a sense of panic in my voice, I called for Chris. He very calmy asked that we call the doctor. The doctor, also very calmly, said to head to labor and delivery.

With NOTHING in hand (no overnight bag, extra pajamas, etc.) we left for the hospital. The entire time, I was thinking that we would be back in about an hour and that was good because I was kinda tired (ha!).

We got to the hospital about 9:30. They checked my fluid and assured me that it was my amniotic fluid. Why was I so naive? I was still thinking....oh, that stinks, but I bet we go home soon. I sorta thought that I would be on bed rest, but for sure I could just do that at my house. Well....we were wrong. The nurse assured us that we were staying at the hospital until the babies came. (What was Chris thinking, you ask? Well, he confessed later that he was thinking...ugh! This is going to cost a lot of money...bed rest at the hospital. Ha...little did he know, huh? He also (and this is why I love him) assured me that he would play board games with the all the time if I was on bed rest (and he does NOT like to play games). ).

Anyway, the nurse said she had to check my cervix. She checked and then called for another nurse to check. Hmn...what's going on down there, I thought. Well, she soon informed me that I was dialated to an 8 and we were going to have these babies SOON. The panic was quickly setting in. I still, however, thought I had some time to process all of this.

The doctor was next to come in to verify the nurses findings. He confirmed my dialation and that the babies were coming TONIGHT. Chris asked him to give us a timeframe (so we could inform our families) and the doctor replied very nonchalantly..."I expect to be in surgery in about 15 minutes". That moment is one that I will never forget. He was correct too.....about 15 minutes later I had my epidural and was in the O.R. with Chris by my side. At 11:40pm I heard the most beautiful sound ever...the sound of my baby boy with strong lungs. At 11:41...I heard his brother's cry. I got to visit with them long enough to give them a tiny kiss....those were sweet moments.

The rest of the night was somewhat of a blur. Our family was able to all be there and they got to meet the boys that night. I was able to see them again before they took me to my room, which is where I would spend the next 4 days.

Whew...even retelling the story is emotionally draining. We don't exactly know why I went into labor. Our theory (and this is not medically based at all) is that Cam (the more active little boy) was just running out of room and kicked a little hole in his sac (maybe he will be a soccer player like his daddy). We will never know I guess.

I know that was a long post...but there you have it. That is the story of the night that changed our lives (and hearts) forever!

4 comments:

Cathy Chisler said...

Cheryl,
I will have to agree with Uncle Michael that we are more alike then we ever thought. Your story and mine are pretty close, although I blame mine on the chicken at the Road House. You gusy are strong and God will see you through this and you will have such a great story to tell "the boys" one day. I just stopped to think how many time a day I say "boys", you better get use to it.
Love, Cathy

Kathy said...

thanks so much for sharing this...and everything else you're sharing...I LOVE seeing this all and realizing what special little boys they are because they have such SPECIAL parents! CAN'T wait to see you ALL! love ya...Kathy

Anonymous said...

wow, they were just anxious to get here I guess :) :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations from the Papuga Family! I guess your guys are older than our guy (Kaiden)! I Pray total health for them both! They are so cute!